Excerpts From the session: Teach Your boss to treat you right (By Nneka Jethro-Iruobe)
You spend upwards of 70% of your waking hours at and around work and you deserve to be happy at work. A lot of the pain people experience at work stems from the relationships with their bosses / managers. Here are 3Cs you need to start doing to help your boss see your value this year.
CRANK IT UP
- Provide high-quality work and keep track of your appraisals,
- show initiative,
- learn as much as you can from others,
- learn how to stand up for yourself,
- be confident,
- keep a work-life balance.
- Ask for feedbacks
- Take Advantage of Opportunities to Socialize with your boss
- Find something in common. This could be sports, movies, shows, or hobbies.
- Ask your boss about their work experience
- where they’ve worked,
- what they didn’t like,
- what else would they have been doing if not this job?
- Learn your boss’s Communications Preferences
- Establish how often your boss would like updates from you
- Say when you do something well or make sacrifices at work
- Keep your conversations with your boss positive by talking about results/solutions
- Be respectful & professional