3 Opportunities mumprenuers should check out this week
One Young World – Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs ‘Enterprise for Peace’ Scholarship
Application deadline: 15th of November 2021
The One Young World Summit 2022 will see 2,000 young leaders from 190+ countries descend to Tokyo for the global forum for young leaders. During the Summit, delegates will present and debate solutions to our time’s most pressing issues alongside senior leaders.
Underemployment and the lack of employment opportunities are among of the most significant socio-economic and security challenges we face, partially brought on due to the youth bulge present in many countries around the world. Beyond its immediate impacts on young people, youth unemployment can exacerbate poverty, violent extremism, political instability, drug abuse and crime.
The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) prioritises improving young people’s prospects in a number of developing countries and fragile states by supporting local entrepreneurs and job creation. The MFA believes that One Young World offers a great opportunity to young people to become engaged, get involved in and build on successful initiatives and connect with other changemakers around the world. That is why the Dutch MFA collaborates with One Young World to provide scholarships for delegates to participate in the global Summit around creating youth employment opportunities for prosperous and peaceful societies. The initiative has the following objectives:
- Empowering young leaders to create sustainable job opportunities in selected regions.
- Leveraging the potential of young people as widely as possible for job creation and highlighting their potential as a solution to fostering prosperous and peaceful societies.
- Raising awareness for youth underemployment and sharing best practices regarding this subject.
Selected Enterprise for Peace Scholars will receive*:
- Access to the pre-Summit programme of the Dutch MFA (location t.b.a.)
- Access to the One Young World Summit which takes place 16 – 19 May 2022 in Tokyo, Japan.
- Travel to and hotel accommodation on a shared basis in the pre-Summit location and Tokyo and travel back to the country of origin.
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner during the One Young World Summit and the pre-Summit programme.
- Transportation between the One Young World Summit accommodation and the Summit venue.
- Profiling in various media outlets.
- Aged 18 – 34 by date of One Young World Summit 2022 in May
- Candidates need to be actively engaged in the fields of youth employment and job creation, either as entrepreneurs or in a similar role (and be able to demonstrate this)
- Nationals of and residents in one of the following countries are eligible for the scholarship: Algeria, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Egypt, Ethiopia, Iraq, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Mali, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Palestinian Territories, Senegal, Sudan, South Sudan, Tunisia, Uganda. Please note that candidates with a refugee status are certainly eligible.
- Available to join the programme full time between 13 and 20 May 2022.
Successful scholars will demonstrate:
- A demonstrated commitment to creating positive impact through (social) entrepreneurship in their communities;
- Proven leadership ability (role models) in their communities;
- A capacity for innovation and value-driven problem solving;
- A concern for local and/or global issues;
- An ability to generate and articulate impactful ideas;
- An ability to work towards a shared goal through teamwork and collaboration.
Expectations of Selected Scholars
Previous Enterprise for Peace Scholars have helped conduct eco-system mappings, given advice on new initiatives and have been invited share their experience in various other events organised by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs or its partners. As the Dutch MFA would like to broaden its network of young role models and entrepreneurs in Africa and the Middle East, please note that when you have been selected to receive a scholarship, your contact details might be shared with Dutch embassies in the eligible countries.
The Dutch MFA asks for the active participation of the selected candidates. Both the pre-Summit programme and the One Young World Summit will be intense. Before selected scholars travel to the pre-Summit location, it is expected they will visit the Dutch Embassy in their countries to discuss their initiatives. Before and during the One Young World Summit, candidates (you are allowed to team up) will need to write a short blog or make a short video/sketch of their One Young World experience. After the Summit, it is expected that the candidates regularly report back to One Young World and the blog/vlogs need to be handed in to the Dutch MFA. Most importantly the scholars are expected to continue to create a positive impact with their initiatives.
Orange Corners Nigeria
Orange Corners Nigeria Incubation Programme 2022 for Entrepreneurs (40,000 Euros in Business Funding)
Application Deadline: November 26, 2021
The Orange Corners provide young entrepreneurs with a 6-month incubation progamme. At the same time, Orange Corners serves as a bridge between these innovative entrepreneurs and the private sector. This offers a great benefit to all partners involved. Orange Corners is an initiative of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in collaboration with a local service provider.
This ecosystem should enable youth to develop their business concept and become successful entrepreneurs, by providing them with the necessary opportunities, skills and access to markets.
In order to meet the selection criteria you must be:
• Be an aspiring entrepreneurs from Lagos, Nigeria
• Be between 18-35 years old
• Have a validated innovative business concept, not more than <2 years old
• The product or service responds to a local challenge in Nigeria
• The product or service relates to the Sustainable Development Goals
Budding entrepreneurs will be selected based on the:
• Social Impact
• Clarity of Market
• Sustainability & Scalability of the business idea
•Competence of the entrepreneur/team
The programme will be delivered in-person and virtually due to the development of the pandemic.
This program will not only provide the foundational entrepreneurial knowledge, tools and resources needed to transform an idea into a business but will also make available the networks and support needed for sustainable growth of the business.
There is a variety of benefits the program will offer you of which the most important ones are:
•Enterprise Management Training
•Business Incubation & Advisory Services
•Funding for prototype development & testing
There are no participation fees for the programme. The programme is funded by scholarships by the government of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and our private partners.
Method of Application
- Online application: The application form becomes available on our website prior to the beginning of each six-month cycle. Fill in all required fields and submit via the online application form submit button. Please make sure to check your inbox regularly to see if you are one of the 50 selected semi-finalists.
- Bootcamp: The 50 semi-finalists will be invited to participate in a compulsory two-day-long bootcamp in which a jury decides who are best placed to join the incubation programme.
- Selection: Selection will be conducted according to the performance during the bootcamp. At the end of the bootcamp, 20 young entrepreneurs will be selected to participate for six months.
StartupXs ChangeMakers Seed Funding 2022
Application deadline: 31 December 2021 (23:59 GMT)
StartupXs has launched the “ChangeMakers Seed Funding 2022” for startups and social enterprises who want to create positive change in their community. All early-stage business innovators, startups, and social enterprises are invited to apply.
StartupXs supports entrepreneurs through the early stages of business development. We believe that startups and social enterprises can play a key role in solving social challenges, not only in their community but globally. Change Makers Seed Funding 2022 will support one changemaker with $1000 in seed funding. No strings attached.
- Participation is open to any individual or organization in any country unless prohibited by local or United States law
- Over 18 years of age
- Represent a start-up or social enterprises
- Priority is given to early- and growth-stage startups and social enterprises working on an innovative product or idea
- The submission must be in English in the form of a slide deck or business plan and include a budget
- The submission must be created within the past year
- A submission can be any length – but shorter is better
- One document in MS Word or PDF format only
- Do not include annexes or attachments
- Submit your document through our online form
- Submission by email is not accepted
- The submission must reach us by 31st December 2021
The 2022 winner will be announced on 31st January 2022 on our official Facebook Page: @StartupXs
For full rules and guidelines please click here.