From the session: A New Mom’s Guide To Hiring A Nanny (By Busayomi Popoola)
Questions to ask a potential nanny about the position:
- Why do you want this job?
- What are you looking for in your next position?
- Do you have any questions about the job description?
- Do you know your way around my town/city/neighborhood?
Questions to ask a potential nanny about training, education and background
- Why did you get involved in child care work?
- How long have you been a caregiver?
- Do you have (or are you willing to get) CPR or baby first-aid training?
- What is your education level?
- Have you taken classes in child care?
- Would you be willing to take classes if presented with the opportunity?
- Are you fluent in any other languages besides English? If so, would you be comfortable speaking in another language to the children?
Questions to ask a potential nanny about their work experience
- Why did you leave your last job?
- What are the ages of the children you’ve cared for?
- What are your favourite ages to care for and why?
- What is your favourite part about being a nanny?
- What’s your least favourite part?
- What was the most challenging experience you had with a child you were taking care of?
- Have you ever had to handle an emergency or been witness to a life-threatening situation with a child? If yes, what happened and how did you react?
- Do you have experience with children who have medical needs?
- Are you comfortable administering medicine?
- Do you have experience preparing bottles?
- Do you have experience following dietary restrictions and avoiding food allergies?
- Do you have experience introducing a baby to solid food?
- Do you have experience navigating unusual or difficult family dynamics?
- Tell me about the work style of your past employers.
- Was it a casual environment, or was there a strict schedule?
- What additional duties did you perform in your previous jobs?
- Did you do any light cleaning or run household errands?
Questions to ask a potential nanny about lifestyle
- What do you see yourself doing in the future?
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- Do you have any hobbies or do you pursue any interests outside of work?
- Do you have any dietary restrictions?
Interview Red Flags
- Body language
- Facial expression when asking them questions
- Response to questions
- Reasons why they need the job
- Reason they left their later job