Expanded from the session: How To Structure Your Home For productivity (With Amara Agbim)
1. Financial plan
- Who will be responsible for the family’s financial planning?
- What are the debts we are each bringing into the marriage?
- Should we combine finances, manage them separately or a little of both?
- What is the most one of us can spend without consulting the other?
- What are our savings goals, what does retirement look like to us?
- How much do we need to save to reach those goals?
2. How about our spiritual health?
- Who leads?
- who should be our spiritually influential mentors?
- where do we worship?
- How often should we pray together as a family?
- Is there a specific area of our marriage where we need some extra help in order to get to where God wants us to be?
3. Where shall we live?
Mainland, island, close to family, far from family, close to work, east, west, north, relocation plans etc.
4. Who shall stay/visit us?
- Who is welcomed in our home?
- How often can people visit?
- How long should they stay?
- Should they inform us prior?
5. What kind of food shall we eat?
- Healthy? Junk?
- Eat out? eat in?
- Personal chef? Buy food in bulk?
- Who should cook?
6. How many children shall we have?
- How many children shall we have?
- Do we want kids?
- Is adoption an option?
- Are other conception methods allowed
- How would we space them?
- What happens when one party is not ready or has medical complications?
- Family planning? Which?
- What should we name them?
7. What kind of school shall our kids go to?
- Home school?
- Private or government?
- Day or boarding?
- School abroad?
- School based on income, location?
- Alma mater?
8. Are we going to hire help?
- Live in or live out?
- Share household chores?
- Who pays?
- Male or female?
- Young or old?
- Job description?
9. Shall both partners work?
- Shall both partners work?
- Who stays at home?
- Work from home?
- Who handles what based on this decision
- No fool proof family plan, so give room for flexibility as you grow
- A home without a family plan is an unstructured home and decisions would be taken on impulse which is dangerous
- Curate your family plan based on your values