As you might already know, ‘how was school today?’ might not get your child to open up about some critical details about their school day you should know. You can start with any combination of these depending on the age of your child to spark a conversation:
1. What did you learn today that you didn’t know before?
2. Tell me about the best & least favourite part of your day?
3. What was the hardest thing you had to do today?
4. Who did you play with today? What did you play?
5. What did your friends have in their lunchbox today?
6. Was anyone in your class gone today and do you know why?
7. Did you ever feel unsafe?
8. Is anyone in the class upsetting you?
9. Is there anything you learned today that you aren’t sure about and I can help you with?
10. If you could change anything about school, what would it be?
11. What rules are different at school than our rules at home?
12. Can you show me something you learned (or did) today?
13. What do you think you should learn more/less of at school?
14. Who do you enjoy talking to at school?
15. Is there anything worrying you about school?
16. What would you change about your day?
17. Are you looking forward to school tomorrow?
18. Do you think Algebra (or any subject) is too easy or too hard?
19. What rule was hard to follow today?
20. Did you help anyone today?
Do you have more? Pls share and don’t forget to share this with a mum friend